Friday, September 30, 2011

You Cannot Buy the Sun

This beautiful song and video -- "Latinoamérica" from the Puerto Rican band Calle 13 -- have been going round and round in my head for the past few days.  I love the different visual styles in the video, from the animation to the street murals to the scenes of everyday life in the diversity that is Latin America.  I haven't translated all of the verses, but the chorus says this:
You cannot buy the wind
You cannot buy the sun
You cannot buy the rain
You cannot buy the heat.

You cannot buy the clouds
You cannot buy the colors
You cannot buy my happiness
You cannot buy my pains.
The spoken intro confused me the first time I heard it.  I got a few words, but why was I not understanding this guy's accent?  Turns out he's speaking Quechua and I am a dope.  Anyway, hope you enjoy it! (via Spanish for Social Change.)

No comments:

Post a Comment