- The long-running border dispute between Nicaragua and Costa Rica has taken a new turn as Costa Rica has begun building a controversial road along their side of the Río San Juan. Environmentalists on both sides of the border have cried foul, saying it will lead to enormous environmental damage. Read more from John Perry and Nicaragua Dispatch.
- An interesting story about the founding of a fund for financing community development in Nicaragua, which grew out of the work of a very cool group called CEPAD.
- Where's the Latin American Science Fiction? (OK, I'm a geek... but actually, I've been asking in all the bookstores down here and nobody can seem to locate any for me. Magic realism they've got cold, but not so much with the sci-fi.)
- Does the U.S. have a double standard for elections in Latin America? (Hint: yes.)
- Nicaragua's renewable energy revolution cometh. More here on an army unit assigned to stop illegal deforestation.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Just a few random articles people might enjoy...